About Our Parish

Welcome!

 

Our Beginnings....  

In the mid 1950's the area north of Rinaldi street in Granada Hills had one small tract of new homes. The beauty and peace of its hills and canyons attracted many young families, and five years later was home to 400 families.  On May 14, 1963, Cardinal James Francis McIntyre created a new parish from a part of St. John Baptist de la Salle Parish. The new parish was established in the area north of Rinaldi Street and was entrusted to the care of St.  Euphrasia, foundress of the sisters of the Good Shepherd. Father Laurence O'Brien was the founding pastor.

The boundaries of the parish were the mountains to the north, Rinaldi to the south, Zelzah to the west, and Sepulveda to the east.

St. Euphrasia's first Masses were held at Knollwood Country Club on May 19, 1963. The following month, the celebration of Holy Mass was moved to El Oro Way School auditorium and remained there until the completion of the parish church in 1966.

In September 1964, St Euphrasia School opened in renovated buildings at St. John Baptist de la Salle. The school consisted of only the first three grades. The principal, first grade and second grade teachers were all Sisters of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. After the Los Angeles City Council Planning Committee granted the parish's zoning appeal, St. Euphrasia Church began construction of a church-hall and school on 3.4 acres of land at the corner of Shoshone Avenue and Mayerling Street.

The church and school broke ground on November 21, l965. The school moved into its permanent building September 1966, with an enrollment of 250 students in grades one through five. An additional grade was added each year for the next three years.

Mass was celebrated for the first time in St. Euphrasia Church on October 23, l966. Cardinal McIntyre formally dedicated the church in the spring of 1968

 

Saint Euphrasia Biography

Rose Virginia Pelletier
Declared a saint on May 2, 1940
by Pope Pius XII.

Born July 31, 1796 in Noirmoutier, a remote island off the coast of France, knew very early that life was difficult. Because her parents practiced their faith, the family suffered exile and agony during the French Revolution. Rose was orphaned early. She had a difficult adolescence. But even as grief was an early companion, Rose Virginie also learned quickly that countless obstacles can propel the human spirit to cling to the Divine enabling it to go through the doors of death to rise to new life

By 1868, Rose Virginia, now Sister Mary Euphrasia, re-organized a women's religious congregation dedicated to assisting women and girls. She founded another community for women who wanted to have a loving relationship with God in a contemplative life-style and would support, by their ministry of prayer, the different works of the Congregation. Several lay groups were formed to push forward the many projects aimed at helping girls and women better their condition. Given a universal thrust, her congregation of the Good Shepherd established centers of compassion through 110 communities in 35 countries, a work that continues because it is fueled by a life of prayer.
 

  - Full Biography
Read digitized book